In May, a friend commissioned me to make a raccoon Mario quilt that would be large enough to cover the recipient from head to toe. I had never made a quilt that big before, but I figured it couldn’t be that much harder than the lap-sized ones I’ve already made. It actually hasn’t been too bad; looking back on how far I’ve come, I can’t remember half the things I was worried about. Well, some things are coming to mind, but I’ll save the griping for the finished quilt blog post.
This quilt is 70″ x 70″ inches. I used Kona cotton on the front and a soft minky fabric on the back. I’m stitching-in-the-ditch for every single seam. That’s a lot of thread! You might be able to tell that I’ve already quilted along every second seam in both directions.
Here’s the back of the quilt. I’m just starting to quilt the remaining rows in one direction. I use the stopwatch app on my phone and I try to beat my time for each row. It takes me about 3 minutes to quilt one row.
I made a bunch of binding in matching Azure blue. I’m not sure that it’s enough, but I really do not want to lay it all out and measure it. I’m sure my cat would love if I did, though. That’s a 3DS XL for size reference A happy coincidence that they match!
I’m hoping that I’ll have this finished by the end of next week, because I plan to reward myself with Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright, which comes out on August 29th. Wish me luck!